Monday, May 20, 2013

Significant Place

My family and I have never really had the opportunity to go on an amazing vacation due to money and finding the perfect time to go. So when I was about to go to Venice, Cape Cod was probably the furthest place I remember going.
Obviously, Venice is MUCH farther away from Cape Cod, and when I got the opportunity to travel to Europe last summer, it was something I couldn't possibly pass up.
Although I visited several other places that summer, Venice is the one place that I remember so clearly and I was emotionally distraught when I had to leave. Maybe it was how the entire city was so closely knit together; the buildings right along side of each other created a sense of family and like I was apart of them. Or maybe it was how complete strangers welcomed me with open arms and asked me to dance with them in a dance festival held in an open town square. Whatever the case may be, I can remember feeling a sense of belonging when I was there, something that I've searched for my entire life perhaps. There was just something about this city that made me feel as if I was home even when I wasn't.
And the funny thing is, I only spent one day in Venice. How could just one day in a beautiful city be one of the best days of my life? I mean, the food was amazing, and anybody that knows me well knows that food is something I hold very close to my heart. And when I got to ride on a gondola, that was pretty cool too. (FYI, the people who steer the gondola don't actually sing, I sadly found out that it's a myth when I asked the man to sing for our group and he just stared at me like I had 5 heads. Awkward.)
But the whole atmosphere of Venice made me feel as if I was in a home away from home, and I would do absolutely anything to go back.
Gahhhh writing about this is giving me nostalgia.

3 comments:

  1. what a weird place for your significant place! it's weird how you found comfort miles from home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, you have to travel a long way to feel at home. This sounds like a good basis for a college essay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand the feeling of going somewhere on vacation and feeling incomplete when its over. I went on a cruise a couple of years ago and my little sister actually cried when we had to leave the boat. I think sometimes the most comforting experiences aren't when your at home, but rather when your out somewhere else enjoying yourself.

    ReplyDelete