Thursday, May 16, 2013

Early Memory



I can remember first laying eyes on this book as a kid and being completely hooked simply because of the title. I mean, how does a "Chocolate Factory" not peak a child's interest?

I still have this book today, and every once and a while when I happen to pick it up and go through it, I smile to myself as I glance at the crinkled pages and the worn down cover. I used to take this book everywhere with me when I was younger; to school, even to restaurants. You name it and I'm 99% positive I've brought it there. 
There was just something about this book that made it impossible for me to put it down. Maybe it was the mysterious and quirky ways of Mr. Wonka, or the occasional music numbers from the Oompa Loompas, but throughout the novel I found myself losing track of time as I glided through the story while giggling at the cartoon pictures. I'd start reading at 3 O'clock and before I knew it, I'd be floating down the chocolate river in Willy Wonka's Factory at 7 O'clock.

I think that's probably why I loved this book so much. It was a completely different world beyond my imagination that I could immerse myself in for a few hours. Being an only child, I had to get pretty creative when it came to entertaining myself. And as a child, I loved reading all different types of books. But this one especially stood out to me because I couldn't wrap my head around how it was possible to chew a piece of gum that turned the character, Violet, into "a blueberry." Or how good things come to those who wait; when Charlie finally got that golden ticket after a countless number of times of searching for it.

This book was my way of not only occupying my time, but also a way for me to expand my imagination. Even to this day I remember reading this book in awe and feeling completely devestated when it was over. (Even though there's the sequel; Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, it wasn't the same.) I even wrote on the very last blank page of the book, "This book made me very hungry." Don't ask me why I decided to write that, but hey, I was being honest, there were some yummy stuff in that book.

I actually came across a little girl the other day who was reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and it put the biggest smile on my face. I'm not quite sure why it made me so happy, but it just brought back those memories of me clutching the book in my hand, eager to find out what happened next. I guess part of me hoped and wished that she would experience the same things that I did; the laughs, the awe and the feeling of fingers gripping tightly to the book, eager to find out what happens next.




4 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I have to say that I've never read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...only the movie. Yes, shame on me. I sometimes write things in the back of my old books too. And when I look back at them, I have the same feelings of nostalgia that you expierence. I used to carry certain books around with me as well. I have brothers but books were the closet thing to sisters that I had. They weren't annoying haha. I supposed I should read CCF however, I'll tell you what I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't love this book, but I do know this feeling exactly. I have always prefered sci-fi/fantasty, it's my FAVORITE genre hands down and that's because while historical or other kinds of fiction are different words, there is nothing more different than a whole different planet with a red sun and three moons. It's so difficult to find a good book, but once you do, you become immersed in it and are loathe to pull yourself out of it. And God, seeing someone else reading a book that defined you? That's one of the best things in the world. It brings to your mind the feeling of when you first read it, desperate to see the next actions of your favorite characters, or the villains. It's the strongest nostalgia I've ever felt and I'm with you each and every part of this post, of this feeling. Great description.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw gosh I'm the same way. I love when I see kids reading. Anything really, but especially one of my own childhood favorites. It makes you feel good, as if you're passing it on, even if you've never spoken to them. I feel so bad for people who don't read; they're missing out on so much magic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! My second grade teacher read this book aloud to the class and I was hooked!

    ReplyDelete